CROATIAN UNDERSEA WORLD III
- Type: D
- Date: 15.5.2019.
- Number: 1205
- CROATIAN UNDERSEA WORLD III, Eel Eel Helena
- Eel helena, eel, is a snake-like predatory fish. It grows to the length of 1.5 m and weighs of up to 15 kg. Its maximum lifespan is 15 years. It has thick and mucous skin with no scales so it easily squeezes through sharp rocks, both forward and backward.
- Number: 1204
- CROATIAN UNDERSEA WORLD III, Sea Slug Peltodoris
- It is white in colour with very recognisable dark brown spots that give it its name – Dalmatian snail. It has two spiral tentacles on the front side of its body that serve as its chemical sensors. Tentacles have up to 25 lamellas increasing the surface for receiving chemical signals brought by the sea water.
- Number: 1203
- Many types of urchins, including the purple sea urchin, tend to carry small stones, shells or pieces of algae and flowering plants. The real reason for such behaviour is unknown, but it is assumed that urchins use it to protect themselves from strong light, UV rays in shallows and perhaps even from predators.
- Number: 1202
- CROATIAN UNDERSEA WORLD III, Twin Fan Worm
- This worm-like animal made up of rings grows to the length of around 10 cm and spends its entire life inside a cone it builds using mucus and sediment particles. Only its gills protrude from the cone. They are up to 10 cm long and shaped like two spiral plumes. Gills can be white, orange, brown or purple.
- Type: C
- Date: 9.5.2019.
- Number: 1201
- EUROPA − Birds, Yellow-legged gull
- There are more than 50 gull species around the world and, in Croatia, the yellow-legged gull nests on distant and uninhabited isles and islets in the Adriatic. It used to be considered a subspecies of L. cachinnans michahellis, but nowadays it is categorized as a separate species. It is between 55 and 67 cm long and its wingspan varies between 130 and 150 cm. This species is not endangered, but stable; however it is protected by law, so locals are not allowed to take its eggs.
- Number: 1200
- EUROPA – BIRDS, Swallow / sand martin
- The sand martin is a colonial bird species, so many birds nest at the same site. It is between 11 and 12 cm long, its wings and back are brown, while its abdomen is white. It is a migratory species and it winters in Africa. It is present all over Europe and, in Croatia, it can be found near open waterfront areas, as well as in wetlands near the Mura, Drava, Sava, Danube and Neretva Rivers. This bird species is endangered, which means that the number of nesting pairs is decreasing
BRIDGES AND VIADUCTS
- Type: S/S
- Date: 24.4.2019.
- Number: 1199
- BRIDGES AND VIADUCTS, Jezerane Viaduct
- The Jezerane Viaduct crosses a dry valley in a circular curve 900 m in radius, and it is 46 m tall at its highest point. The Jezerane Viaduct is well-incorporated into the landscape, but to be able to see it in full, one must drive along the state highway D-23 and stop in the village of Jezerane.
- Number: 1198
- BRIDGES AND VIADUCTS, The Old Bridge on the Kupa river
- The Old Bridge on the Kupa river in Sisak, this masterpiece of Croatian bridge construction of the first half of the 20th century can compare with the bridges of the greatest European capitals, both as a project and in terms of execution, and it is hard to find its equal among our bridges from that period. The construction of the bridge began in 1925 and it was opened to traffic on May 6th 1934
- Type: C
- Date: 16.4.2019.
- Number: 1197
- FAMOUS CROATS - Jure Kaštelan
- Jure Kaštelan's work is synonymous with a free spirit and vital energy; it is a prolific outcome of authentic embeddedness in the deep layers of the Mediterranean atmosphere and regional lore, which also shows a mature openness towards the important heritage of modernist provocation and the European contemporaneity.
- Number: 1196
- FAMOUS CROATS - Anđela Horvat
- Apart from working on the creative conservation of monuments, Anđela Horvat was a renowned scientist whose research interests covered a broad spectrum of topics. Temporally, her work was dedicated to works of art originating between the 7th and 20th centuries. Thematically, her research interests spanned all branches of art: from urbanism and architecture, sculpture and painting, to artisan crafts.
- Number: 1195
- FAMOUS CROATS - Vatroslav Lisinski
- Music entered his life relatively late. He started learning the piano as late as 14 or 15, but his love of music, his need to express his intimate thoughts through music and the amiable company of his young friends and colleagues, the liberal and patriotic thinkers led him to try his hand at composing for the first time, setting Pavel Štoos' lyrics to music in a reveille entitled Iz Zagorja od prastara (From Zagorje since Ancient Times).
- Type: C
- Date: 4.4.2019.
- Number: 1194
- EASTER 2019
- Apart from the rabbit, the main symbol of Easter in most households is an egg. An egg as the most perfect creation in form and matter, an egg as a tin can full of life. A small glass nineteenth-century egg, part ruby red and part transparent, has been turned into a real work of art through meticulous handicraft.