INTERNATIONAL DAY FOR MINE AWARENESS
- Type: C
- Date: 4.4.2018.
- Number: 1133
- INTERNATIONAL DAY FOR MINE AWARENESS
- The greatest success of the system is definitely the reduction in the number of the persons injured, that is, the fact that there were no incidents and accidents tied to mines in 2017. Since 1996 until today, 595 persons have been injured by mines, 203 fatally.
- Type: C
- Date: 21.3.2018.
- Number: 1132
- CROATIAN FLORA - Sweet Chestnut
- People were growing sweet chestnut as far back as 2500 BC. It was mostly planted and spread around Europe by the ancient Romans due to its precious fruit. In Croatia, sweet chestnut grows in woods in the mountain area belt, that is, on the mountains of the central and north-west Croatia, as well as Istria. The fruit of sweet chestnut is very nutritious because it contains up to 45 % starch so it can be used to produce flour. It is rich with vitamins A, B and C, minerals such as phosphorous and potassium, as well as folic acid.
- Number: 1131
- CROATIAN FLORA - Cornelian Cherry
- Cornelian cherry naturally grows in the central and south-east Europe, as well as west Asian countries such as Turkey and Syria. Because of its fruit, the mankind has known about it since the Neolithic. It was especially revered by the ancient Greeks and Romans not just as a fruit, but because of its hard wood. In our region, the name of this species is associated with toughness, longevity and immunity to illnesses. In the English language, there is a saying “as healthy as a horse”. However, Croatians, instead of the word “horse”, use the word “Cornelian cherry”.
- Number: 1130
- CROATIAN FLORA - Bilberry
- Bilberry is commonly found in the woods across Europe, all the way to the Caucasus, and in northern Asia. In Croatia it typically grows in Lika and Gorski Kotar, as well as the mountains of Medvednica, Ivanščica, Strahinjščica, hills around the town of Samobor, Žumberak, Papuk and Psunj. It naturally grows on acidic, moist, limestone-free humic soil. It typically grows in clusters covering larger surfaces. It bears fruit used as food in Europe. It has also been used as a medicine for more than a thousand years.
- Type: C
- Date: 15.3.2018.
- Number: 1129
- EASTER 2018
- In the Church of Immaculate Conception of Mary located in Dubrave near Brčko, Mile Skračić, a painter from Split, created what is possibly his best work, fourteen stations on the Way of the Cross. The background on all of them, including this “Descent from the Cross”, is the golden glow of a large sun. It, despite the restless painter's matter and strokes, signifies the abstract, endless space of pre-renaissance paintings.
CHILDREN’S WORLD – PETS – CATS II
- Type: C
- Date: 22.2.2018.
- Number: 1128
- CHILDREN’S WORLD – PETS – CATS II - The Sacred Cat of Burma
- The Birman has fascinating bright blue eyes and the coat is in the pointed pattern, from white to light brown, with darker points on the face, ears, legs and tail, just like the Himalayan. His coat is medium long, and may be longer on his back, thighs, neck and belly.
- Number: 1127
- CHILDREN’S WORLD – PETS – CATS II - Russian Blue
- The Russian Blue loves to sleep in the sun and playing with the rays of sunlight. His thick coat is short and easy to groom. There is almost no shedding, so it is enough to comb the Russian Blue’s coat once a week.
- Number: 1126
- CHILDREN’S WORLD – PETS – CATS II - Maine Coon
- The Maine Coon is a natural breed native to Maine. The climate there is damp and harsh, so unlike other cat breeds, Maine Coons have a heavy water-resistant medium-long fur, with tufted ears, paws and cheeks, reminding of the lynx.
- Number: 1125
- CHILDREN’S WORLD – PETS – CATS II - The Himalayan Cat
- The parent breeds of the Himalayan are the longhaired Persian and the shorthaired Siamese. The word Himalayan is not connected with the Himalayas, but with the cat’s distinctive look. Namely, some animal breeds with the same characteristics, e.g. hare, rabbit, Guinea pig, etc., also have the word Himalayan in the name of the breed.
WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES - PyeongChang 2018
- Type: C
- Date: 7.2.2018.
- Number: 1124
- WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES - PyeongChang 2018
- We are going to see six new disciplines in fifteen winter sports in Korea. Records in terms of numbers and variety are going to be broken once again. Alpine skiers are going to lead the Croatian team. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the red and white checkers are also going to be recognized on the bobsled track and the ice skating surface.